Seductive golden beaches and lushly forested mountains; samba-fueled nightlife and spectacular football matches; fabulous opportunities for hiking, cycling, sailing, surfing and swimming: welcome to the Cidade Maravilhosa (Marvelous City). Samba the night away in Lapa, people-watch and sip sunset cocktails on Ipanema Beach or get up close to Christ the Redeemer and marvel at the panoramic view of Rio; all with your trusted travel companion.
Lonely Planet Rio de Janeiro is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Inside Lonely Planet Rio de Janeiro:? Full-color maps and images throughout.
- Highlights and itineraries help you tailor your trip to your personal needs and interests.
- Insider tips to save time and money and get around like a local, avoiding crowds and trouble spots.
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, phone numbers, websites, transit tips, prices.
- Honest reviews for all budgets - eating, sleeping, sight-seeing, going out, shopping, hidden gems that most guidebooks miss.
- Cultural insights give you a richer, more rewarding travel experience ? history, music, football, architecture, outdoors, beaches, dance.
- Free, convenient pull-out Rio de Janeiro map (included in print version), plus over 26 color maps.Covers: Ipanema, Leblon, Gavea, Jardim Botanico, Lagoa, Copacabana, Leme, Botafogo, Urca, Flamengo, Centro, Cinelandia, Santa Teresa, Lapa, Zona Norte, Barra da Tijuca, Western Rio and more.